The CIEH Level 3 Award in Fire Safety Risk Assessment and Control helps candidates consolidate and develop their existing knowledge of workplace fire safety. Candidates gain a thorough understanding of the formal fire risk assessment process for non-complex, low – or normal-risk premises that do not contain high risk associated with the work or building features.
This qualification has been developed either to
- support ‘responsible persons’ (usually employers or landlords) who wish to undertake their own fire risk assessment
- enable ‘responsible persons’ to appoint an appropriate person to undertake the fire risk assessment on their behalf.
Successfully completing this qualification will enable candidates to:
- conduct a fire safety checklist in their work area
- conduct a fire risk assessment in a low- or normal-risk premises (assuming candidates have the necessary technical knowledge in relation to fire safety and the activities/environments/issues being assessed)
- organise and implement a fire risk assessment programme or contribute to an existing programme
- participate in the identification of specific fire safety training needs through fire risk assessment
- assist employers in meeting legal requirements and promote improved standards of fire safety in their workplace
- self-evaluate their knowledge and skills, and to seek help where necessary.
- The qualification covers:
- the importance of fire safety in the workplace
- the reasons for using a fire risk assessment and the principles involved
- how to link the principles of fire risk assessment to practical examples of workplaces and activities
- how fire risk controls are used in the workplace
- how to use the findings gained from a fire risk assessment to improve the safety of the workplace
- how to apply knowledge of fire risk and control in a practical setting.
The assessment method for this qualification is an assignment based on the candidates own work environment. Candidates must identify a suitable premises, or part of a premises, to undertake a fire risk assessment. It is important that you choose a location that will allow you to demonstrate and apply a wide range of knowledge and skills.
Designed for: Responsible persons in non-complex, low- or normal-risk premises who wish to carry out their own fire risk assessment, or those who assist them in fulfilling this duty.