This Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace qualification is intended for learners already in workplaces and those who are preparing to start or return to work. It is also very useful for young people to raise their ability to identify and understand hazards when preparing for work experience or going into employment.
Persons gaining this qualification will know that health and safety is the responsibility of everyone within a business, its contractors, visitors and suppliers. The subject areas covered within this qualification are regarded by the Health and Safety executive (HSE) as being important to maintaining safe working procedures in the workplace.
The main duties of employers and employees
Consequences of non-compliance with health and safety legislation
- Requirements for training and competence
- The ways in which health and safety information can be communicated
- Definitions of ‘hazard’ and ‘risk’
- The main hazards found in a range of workplaces
- How hazards can cause harm
- The common causes of workplace accidents and ill-health
- The process for carrying out a risk assessment
- How risk assessments can be used to reduce accidents and ill-health
- The risk control hierarchy
- Risk controls for common workplace hazards • Arrangements for emergencies and first aid
- The importance of recording all incidents, accidents and ill-health
- Actions to be taken following an incident.
How long will it take me to achieve this qualification?
This Level 2 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace qualification is usually achieved by taking a 6 hours duration classroom-based course. However, it can also be achieved through a variety of others methods including blended and distance learning, as long as the recommended learning hours are completed.
How is the qualification assessed?
This qualification is assessed by a 30-question multiple-choice examination lasting
Learners successfully achieving this qualification may wish to progress to:
- HABC Level 2 Award in Risk Assessment (QCF)
- HABC Level 2 Award in the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (QCF)
- HABC Level 2 Award in Fire Safety (QCF)
- HABC Level 3 Award in Health and Safety in the Workplace (QCF)
- HABC Level 3 Award in Risk Assessment (QCF)