This 2-day First Aid at Work Refresher course is designed for those who currently hold a First Aid at Work qualification and are due to expire.
- Please consider the following rules for attendance:
- A First Aider can renew their First Aid at Work qualification by attending a 2-day requalification course without question, if it’s within 1 month past the expiry date
- If the First Aider has lapsed by more than 1 month, but no longer than 3 months, then the First Aider can requalify by attending a 2-day course providing ‘Special considerations’ have been applied
Special considerations are:
- A signed letter from the employer to the provider of the training stating the reasons why in their opinion, the First Aider is suitably experienced to attend a 2-day course and does not require a full 3-day FAW course
- A decision is made by the provider of the training after discussions with the employer, or the First Aider, and deciding that their previous experience is sufficient to attend a 2-day course
- If the First Aider has lapsed beyond 3 months then they must attend a full 3-day First Aid at Work course
The important thing to remember is that as soon as the certificate expires, the First Aider is no longer considered competent to act as a First Aider in the workplace which may well leave the employer with a shortfall of First Aiders. Therefore, it would be prudent to arrange their First Aid at Work Requalification before they expire.
A range of subjects are covered including:
- Legalities, responsibilities and reporting
- Heart attacks
- Dealing with an unresponsive casualty
- Eye injuries
- Fractures and spinal injuries
- Control of bleeding
- Chest injuries
- Assessment of the situation
- Shock (including Anaphylaxis)
- Head injuries
- Sprains and strains
Successful qualification on this course is based on practical assessments conducted throughout the course and written test papers each day.
A three year Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work Refresher certificate (Level 6 in Scotland) will be issued to the learner, subject to successful assessment. No external assessors are required.
A maximum of 12 students are allowed and must be a minimum of 14 years of age and a certificate can be offered to all, subject to assessment. A student cannot assume a responsibility in the workplace until they reach the age of 16, and then it is the employer’s responsibility to ensure that the student is suitable for that role. The certificate will expire as dated on the certificate, irrespective of age.
In-House / On-site courses
If you have several employees that you wish to train as a First Aid Instructor why not consider an onsite course. With qualified lead instructors based throughout the UK, Cambridge Risk Management Ltd are able to provide training at your premises, at a time and date to suit your requirements, for our full range of courses that we have to offer. Should you require a number of courses, we can offer you corporate rate discounts. We currently deliver courses for many national and international companies throughout the UK.